Earth, Physics and Imagination

QuantizedFeed

by Leslie Medina, AP Physics 1 student

Leslie painting

Painting by Leslie Medina

When I think of Mother Earth, I imagine hearing a pulse, and I visualize all the natural beauty that Earth contains. When I give such human-like qualities to Earth, I envision her breathing, even though I know this is not how things work. I think about all the possibilities and opportunities that Earth has given us. The ability to live, explore, and gain knowledge about our universe and the galaxies that endlessly fascinate us. When I depicted Earth breathing and exhaling, I was visualizing how Earth metaphorically takes in knowledge of its surroundings.

With this knowledge, there is an even greater desire to learn more about Earth, space, and life itself. Physics explores many things concerning these expansive topics and attempts to offer an explanation of all the extraordinary phenomena that surround us. On my painting, various equations and key details concerning gravity, orbits, and planets, appear as stars in the night sky. What I’ve come to realize is that these equations not only fill up the background space of my painting, but they also fill up the spaces in our curious minds with an abundance of knowledge.

About the author:
Leslie Medina is an Honors/AP student at Creekview High School, and she is also an amazing artist.

Quantized Magazine. All Rights Reserved.

588 b.gif?host=quantizedmagazine.wordpress.c

View the full article