Are Games the Key to Girls' STEM Education?

FizziksGuy

The gender gap in STEM fields is striking. In grades four through seven, when a lot of kids first start to think about what they might want to do as a career, just 14 per­cent of girls express an interest in sci­ence, tech­nology, edu­ca­tion, and math.

A group of industry and aca­d­emic leaders gath­ered at Northeastern’s Seattle campus with what just might be a solu­tion to that problem: video games. (Yes, par­ents and teachers, you’re reading that right.)

- See more at: http://www.northeastern.edu/news/2013/06/girls-games/#sthash.gy6MwSMa.dpuf

• 4 months later...

If you asked me that question as a fourth grader or even seventh grader I would have said a scientist. I was asking for microscopes for Christmas as age nine, and anatomy books at age 11. And I will admit to playing a few video games. Shockingly, I want to be an English major now. However, physics is the best subject known to man. Especially if you are blessed to be in Mr. Fullerton's class. Best teacher ever.

• Like 1

You'll do great at ANYTHING you set your mind to, I have no doubt.  And thanks so much for your too-kind comments.  Made my night, definitely my week, without a doubt the month, and quite possibly my year!   Now to go find a tissue, I think a bug just flew into my eye and made it tear up a bit...   :thumbsu:

• Like 1