Car crash quest- Skylar Munger, Briele caples

Guest smunger

Guest smunger

Car crash quest

Briele caples and Skylar Munger and Alexus

3) i.The first piece of information we had to find were the velocities of the SUV and Wagon immediately following the collision. To do this we used kinematic equations. To find the velocities of the SUV we use the kinematic equation Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad. Acceleration was given at -2m/s/s and the distance was 2m. We set Vf to zero and then solved the equation to find the initial velocity which is 2.8m/s.

ii.To find the velocity of the Subaru immediately following the collision we used the same kinematic equation Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad. Acceleration was given at -3m/s/s and the distance was 24m. We again set Vf to zero and solved the equation to find the velocity following the collision to be 12 meters per second.

B) i.To find the momentum of the SUV immediately following the collision we used the equation P=MV. The mass of the SUV was 3000kg and we used the velocity from the previous section of 2.8meters per second to determine the momentum 8400 kg x m/s.

ii.To find the momentum of the Wagon immediately following the collision we used P=MV. The mass of the Wagon 2000kg and they velocity was found to be 12 meters per second. After all our calculation we found the momentum to be 24000 kg x meters per second.

C)i. The conservation of momentum theory states that the total momentum before a collision must be equal to the momentum after. Because the velocity of the Wagon before the collision was zero its momentum has to be zero because P=mV, therefore the momentum of the SUV had to equal the momentum of the Subaru after the collision plus the momentum of the SUV after the collision.The momentum of the SUV before the collision had to equal 32400kg x m/second.

D)i. Since we had the momentum and mass of the SUV and Wagon before the collision we could solve for the velocity of both cars. For the SUV p=32400 and the mass was 3000kg.Since we had both parts of the equation we could solve for V using P=MV.The velocity of the SUV before the collision was 10.8 meters per second.

ii. Since the momentum of the Wagon before the collision was zero and the mass was 2000kg we could solve for the velocity. Using P=MV we solved for the velocity and it was zero.

E)i. The velocity of the SUV was 10 meters per second and we knew the speed limit was 35km/h so we needed to convert the SUV’s speed to kilometers per hour. After the conversion we found the SUv to be speeding because traveling at 38km/h