Kobe Bryant Jumps Over a Pool of Snakes!!!

FizziksGuy

Is this real or fake?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is this real or fake?

• Fake
    • It depends

I think this is fake. First of all, it doesn't even look realistic. Secondly, kobe is not THAT athletic to the point where he could jump over a pool, more less, go and dunk after wards. As far as the physics goes, I think in order for him to be able to make this maneuver, that his initial speed would have to be very very fast, most likely, a speed that no human could reach, even if it is kobe (maybe lebron would be able to though). Kobe could probably jump that height in the y direction, however the distance cleared in the x direction is not realistic at all. In order to make that realistic, the initial velocity would have to be greatly increased.

I also think that this video is false, and I have the physics to prove it. I did a little bit of internet research and got the following stats:

The fastest that Kobe would be able to run in the stunt is about 8 m/s

The highest that Kobe can jump is about .98 meters

Next you can find Kobe's final velocity in the y direction when he lands due to his parabolic arch as being 4.4 m/s

With that, you can then find his time in the air to be about .45 sec for the stunt

Finally, if Kobe's time in the air is .45 sec, and his horizontal velocity is 8 m/s, then Kobe would travel a horizontal distance of 3.6 meters, and I don't don't know about you, but if the distance over that pool to the hoop is 3.6 meters, than I'm Albert Einstein.

Keri's response hit it on the nose in that Kobe would need a much much faster, un-human initial velocity to accomplish the feat.

Guest moe.ron

I would also agree that the video is fake. I completely agree with keri & waltsy. When I first saw this, I disagreed. Jackass is show about people getting hurt, for real. I doubted that they would fake a stunt, because that is not what there show is about. Well, obviously not because this stunt must be faked. If the highest that Kobe can jump is .98 meters, he obviously would have had to jump higher then that to clear this medium sized pool. It threw me off though, because it looks so real when he dunks and lands - because he actually smacks into the back of the pole which would hurt! But if you watch the end when they do the slow motion, it appears that he steps on something at the pool level, like a step or ramp, which they could have covered up or cut out of the video. If he stepped on something and dove for the hoop it would be possible, and would give him that diving angle that he "spontaneously" gets half way threw his jump. Add a step and this stunt would be possible - but regardless, its faked!

Guest rWing77IHS

It is real, the reason he has that diving-look to him is because his center of gravity is what is being calculated for the airtime, but he stretches his body out to make the illusion that he is stopping in mid-air. that is why it may look to be faked, but it's really not, your eyes are just decieving you.

Guest Rellseli66

I think this is fake just because he is able to jump over this huge pool, an yet still jump all the way across. When you look at track an field they do high, and long jump, if he were to try to jump over the huge pool and still dunk it youd have to get high up, but if you wanted to jump across the pool you would want as much velocity in the x as possible, so for me the fact that he is able to not only clear, but also dunk the ball, seems really unrealistic, because he would really have to either dedicate the jump to getting up or across, i doubt hes really capable of flying over a pool of snakes and making that

• 10 months later...
Guest Bob Enright

Even though he is a great athlete I don't think something like this is feasible even with superior training. There are some things even the pros cant do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest EntropyFiend

Its perfectly real, if his vertical velocity is fast enough he can get to the other side of the pool before he hits the ground. If with his vertical velocity he's in the air for 3 seconds, and it takes him 2.5 seconds to get to the other side of the pool with his horizontal velocity, he can make it to the other side of the pool before touching the ground with seconds to spare.

Guest dexter627

Thinking of the physics of this problem it seems like it is possible for Kobe to jump the pool of snakes if he was able to jump high enough that along with his speed, he would be able to clear the tank in a parabolic motion. The video, not being at a perfect physics analysis view makes it difficult to tell exactly the length he leaped is. Also, his center of gravity is stil moving in the direction as he jumps, pullin him downward as he is in the air. If this video is fake, then the recorder might have changed the dimensions of the pool somehow to make it appear that he is jumping a longer distance than he truly is. To clearly understand this video with more physics you would need to figure out the distance, time, and velocity accurately. Either way, points could be argued in a young physics student's mind that this video is real or fake.

Guest XxcountryxX

I think this is fake because if Kobe was traveling fast enough horizontally then he could have made the jump. But because he would have had to have been traveling really fast I don't think he could have.