STEP - PN Junctions
- Introduce students to science and engineering career opportunities.
- Develop deeper understandings of science concepts through analysis of applications.
- Develop vocabulary needed to converse in the semiconductor and nanotechnology industries.
- Develop skills needed to explore high-tech concepts independently.
- P-N junction diodes are created by doping silicon with donor and acceptor atoms.
- I-V characteristics of P-N junction diodes allow current to flow in one direction only.
- A MOS transistor can be thought of as two back-to-back P-N junction diodes.
- A transistor can be thought of as a current switch, controlled by a gate.
|Activity||Understandings Addressed||Bloom's Taxonomy||Format||Resources||Time (per)|
|Diode / Solid State Electronics Exploration||1,2,3,4||1,2,4||Independent Inquiry||How Stuff Works - Diodes||1|
|Diode Overview Lecture / Discussion||1,2||1,2,3||Lecture / Discussion||Unit Overview Notes||2|
|Diode Simulation||1,2||1,2,3,4,5,6||PHET Simulation||Internet, Simulation Directions||1|
|Transistor Lecture / Discussion||3,4||1,2,3||Lecture / Discussion||Unit Overview Notes||1|
Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives in the Cognitive Domain
Module content may be found under the Courses --> Honors --> Tutorials --> Microelectronics --> P-N Junctions section of this site, or from the Microelectronics chapter of Honors Physics Essentials.